kreativ

This is the blog of the Rohrer family. It includes memories, photos, information and anything else we choose to post. All our relatives are invited to post and respond to my posts.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States

The Incredible Art Department

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Brush With Death

There are two incidents in my life where I came close to loosing my life. Curiously enough, one of my friends was present at both events.

The first incident I was with two friends approaching US 6 and US 31 in an old black car that was about 20 years old. The light was red for us and suddenly my friend yelled out, "What in the world?!" He began pumping the brake and nothing happened. The brakes had gone out and we were heading into a busy intersection. Just as we came to the intersection, the left turn light turned green and my friend swirved the car to the left. We finally coasted to a stop at the side of the road. God changes traffic lights too.

The second incident was when we were all returning home from church camp one summer in the 1970's. My friend's mother was driving. This family is known to fall asleep at the wheel. Several of them have been involved in serious crashes because of this. His mother hadn't had much sleep the night before and I was in the front passenger seat. When we were suddenly in the left lane on a two-lane highway and were nearing a head-on collision, I glanced over at her and she was asleep! I quickly grabbed the steering wheel and turned us back to our lane just in time. After that I kept my eye on her and I had to grab the steering wheel two additional times. I was glad to get home that day.

I nearly killed someone myself one day. While visiting this same friend when he lived in northeast Indiana (Is this guy jinxed?) during the winter I was going over a bridge on US 6 and suddenly the VW bug in the left lane began spinning around in circles in front of me. The car hit the guard rail and his body flew out the driver's door and slid on the pavement in front of my car. I didn't want to brake hard and lose control because of the ice, so I steered over as far as I could go. As I went by him, I felt the car go over something. My heart sunk. I ran back to the man and saw that I had only run over his hand. His hand was bloody and two of his fingers looked smashed. He was stunned. I stayed until the state police arrived. This is a good reason to use your seat belts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home